Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ode to Dance

Last weekend we went down to Provo and watched Dancesport, a ballroom competition. One word, bittersweet. It was so exciting to watch my friends and other dancers I have been following compete, but naturally it made me miss dancing. My last Dancesport was in March when I was four months pregnant. It was kind of surreal attending this Dancesport with a cute little baby in my lap. My old dance partner Travis came along with Chase and me. Travis is a big reason why I loved dance so much. He was hardworking, dedicated, optimistic and so funny, so I really enjoyed competing with him. But a bigger reason why i enjoyed dance so much is thanks to Chase. After we were married it was a sacrifice to have me keep dancing, but Chase was so incredibly supportive. I am indebted to him for the rest of my life. What a guy?


Anna loved watching the dancers. She sat there wide eyed and didn't make a peep. Since it was going to be a long night, halfway through we dropped Anna off at Uncle Chase and Aunt Valerie's to play.


Here are some pics from the competition

Callie and Daniel dancing the samba



Ashley and Lance during the rumba. (Ashley and I became friends on our Nauvoo tour. I adore this girl!)


Taking a bow



Chelsie (one of my favorite roomates) and Chase (not my Chase of course:) dancing the waltz. We are so excited for Chels and her finacee. Wedding is this December. Woo Hoo!



Caleb and Christina before they start the tango. This was the first year they made it to the Amateur Standard final. I was so excited for them!



This is Jenna Johnson dancing the paso doble. One of the most exciting dance experiences I have had was watching her compete in the 2009 National Youth Latin Competition. Jenna and her partner Casey Treu had made it to the finals and were competing against the Russian couples who always dominate, but Casey and Jenna took first. The crowd went nuts! It was like watching the underdog being awarded the gold medal. She continues to be one of my favorite competitors to watch.


And why not? Here is a flashback to March 2010. My last dance competition.

2 comments:

  1. Now, when you say, "Not my Chase of course," you say the "of course" just because it doesn't look like him, right? Because it's not like CHASE couldn't dance like that...

    Fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! :) Chase is actually a really great dancer. His musical background and athletic coordination makes learning dance really easy. Wow after writing that out it sounds really nerdy huh?

    -Amberlyn

    ReplyDelete